Wednesday, September 30, 2015

9 Things Every Nanny Needs in Her Closet for the Fall

With fall in full swing, I have been thinking of all my nanny fashion essentials. I have been with my family for about nine months now.  I have not been with them during the fall yet, however, I have become aware of a few staple items that are always needed.  Now, this list does not need to only apply to nannies.  It can be for any child care provider, or any girl who finds herself running around all day! 

1.  A large purse with zippers and various straps.

Nine West's Jaelyn Fringed Tote

A purse is always based on someone's personal preference.  However, during my time as a nanny, I have found that my bag of choice needs to have the following qualities: durable material, spacious but accessible, zippers for valuables, and various sized straps/handles. You need a bag that is up for any activity you and your children have planned for the day! It needs to help, not hinder you.

2.  A dependable pair of jeans.



There is so much that goes into purchasing a pair of jeans, and most of us don't even realize that.  Do you like low rise, mid rise, or high rise?  What length do you need?  Short, regular, or long? What style do you prefer?  Legging, skinny, girlfriend, boyfriend, barely boot, boot, flare?  And then you need to know your size.  Every brand fits differently. Plus, let's be honest.  Who wants to spend their time trying on an armful of jeans?  It can be frustrating, to say the least.  

I personally always purchase my jeans from Express.  They move with me, last long, and feel great!  You're going to need to find a day to put time aside and go jean hunting.  If you look hard enough, you can find the perfect pair for you.  And don't be afraid to invest in a good pair!  Price doesn't always relate to quality, but I think that it does when it comes to jeans. God luck!

3.  A comfortable pair of sneakers.

New Balance's 574 New Balance


Personally I live in boots and booties for as long as I can.  However, I cannot deny the importance of a good pair of sneakers.  Nannies are on their feet all day.  We need shoes that make running around possible.

4.  A favorite zip-up/sweater.




When it comes to sweaters, it is better to have one that can open and close.  You may be outside for part of the day, and then inside for the other part of the day.  With temperatures and weather always changing, especially in New England, it is good to have options!

5. A reliable watch.

As you all may know, I nanny during the week and work retail during the weekend.  With all the running around I do, I trust Fossil as my brand for watches.  Their watches have a great balance of beautify and durability.  Plus, a lot of the watch faces' are funky and really stand out!  Not to mention that Fossil is one of the more affordable brands.

6. Sunglasses.

Tory Burch's TY9041 Sunglasses

I mention sunglasses for two reasons.  The first is obvious-to protect and shield your eyes from the sun.  The second reason is to mask reactions.  Let me explain.  As nannies we need to be calm, collected, and not feed into the "shock value" that children may try to get from us.  With a nice pair of shades, you can keep your eyes from giving any thing away.  This is a nice little trick that I have picked up on during the summer!

7. A pair of leggings that will last.



I only shop at Express for my leggings.  They last forever!  To the point where I work out and sleep in my older pairs.  No more ripping at the seams for me!  And Express sells casual leggings and dressy leggings in various colors.

8. A hat.

H&M's Wool Hat
Francesca's Ash Felt Floppy Hat

Whether it is a lazy day, a bad hair day, or you woke up late- it is always great to have a hat!  A hat is a great accessory.  It can make an outfit looked pull together, even when you're really just hiding messy hair.  

9. A comfy tee-shirt.

G.H. Bass & Co.'s Bon Voyage Tee


A comfy tee is always a great idea!  You will look cute and casual while running around with the kids.  They are also fun to layer and style with other pieces! 


Those are my nine fall closet essentials for the nannies and busy bees!  Let me know if you agree or have any additional essentials that always have to have in your closet.  Also, I am please to announce that I will be posting every Sunday and Wednesday nights now!

Until then, thanks for reading!





























No comments:

Post a Comment