Wednesday, November 4, 2015

3 Simple Steps to Layering an Outfit

Happy Hump Day!  I hope you all had a great  start to your week!  Tonight I will be be sharing a simple "how to" for laying an outfit.  Throughout the week I have heard such comments as "nice weather we're having" and "what a beautiful November week".  It's true!  This week has been gorgeous and I have made sure that the boys and I take advantage of the nice weather by going to the park as much as possible.

With this great weather, I have also heard many people mention how they do not know how to dress for it.  In New England, during the fall, it is cold in the the mornings, hot during the days, and freezing once the sun sets.  Which, thanks to Day Light Savings, is much earlier now.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, the weather plays a big part in what a nanny does during the day.  Every morning I check the weather, and try to be outside as much as possible.  As a nanny, my work days begin at 8 AM and end at 6 PM.  I need to be ready for any temperature.  Layers always help.

At Express, they encourage the team to wear three layers.  I try to follow this rule at my nannying job as well.  If you are not used to layering an outfit, don't worry!  Here are three simple steps that will help.

1.  Choose a base.

It is easier to form an outfit if you start with a simple base.  This can be a romper or dress in a solid color or simple pattern.  Your base can also be a simple t-shirt and jeans.  Once you have that core item, you can work from there.

For the fall time, I tend to wear light tees and cotton dresses as my base item.  This is a good idea for when you're running in between sporting events, swim classes, parks, and errands at the house.  That lighter layer is important for when you are feeling warm.  If you only wear warm layers, you wont be able to enjoy the 60 and 70 degree weather that the fall days have to offer.  


Here I chose dark wash jeans with a black basic tee, as the base to my outfit.  Here are a few other pieces that I love, and would use as a base for an outfit.  

2. Add an accent piece.

This is where the outfit starts to get fun!  You may have loved your base item, but this is when you make the outfit pop!  An accent item can be a sweater, a vest, a cardigan, a scarf, and many other things.  This item is going to have a different, maybe bolder, color or pattern than your base item.



My accent item was my red, plaid flannel.  The red brightened my outfit.  However, there were darker tones that kept my outfit looking pulled together.  If you are wearing a flannel or collared shirt underneath a sweater, make sure to make the collar neat and cuff the sleeves.  Here are various accent items that I love.


3. Accessorize.

The final step in layering an outfit is accessorizing.  This is my favorite step to layering an outfit!  I have always loved jewelry.  However, when accessorizing a look it does not always have to mean jewelry.  You can add a watch, a belt, or a pretty headband as well or instead.  It is all based on your likes and dislikes.  I tend to wear less earrings and more necklaces and belts to complete my look.



Here I wore one of my Nigerian necklaces as a statement piece.  I also wore a bright brown, leather belt to break up the darkness of my black top and dark wash jeans.  Here are a few of my favorite accessories.


When layering an outfit, it is important to keep your sense of style in mind.  This will help make a cohesive look that will better portray who you are as an individual and as a fashionista!  I hope this helped! 

My look...
Flannel: Chaps.  Similar flannel: Here.  Jeans: Express.  V-Neck Jersey Top: H&M.  Moccasins: Minnetonka

Thanks for stopping by, Cute Teachings!












No comments:

Post a Comment